Saturday, July 11, 2009

watermelon and crawlers

I bet that title caught your attention!!

Cruellers (which we pronounce "crawlers") are one of our favorite summertime meals. We eat them with watermelon, which makes us feel so much less guilty for eating deep fried bread!

This is an old family recipe from my dad's side.

The first time my mom had them she was at my grandparents' house. My grandma served watermelon and cruellers and my mom thought it was an appetizer or snack. Can you blame her? So she just ate a little, saving room for the big meal to come. Oops...that WAS dinner!

So here's the recipe, just in case you decide you want to try some "crawlers".


Cruellers
4 beaten eggs
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. milk
1/3 c. melted shortening
3 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
3 t. baking powder
1/4 t. nutmeg
Beat eggs and sugar til light; add milk and cooled shortening. Add flour sifted with salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Mix until smooth.
( It should look like this.) Chill.
Roll 1/4 inch thick on floured surface. Cut in strips; twist or form into knots (which I don't do).

Fry in deep hot fat (375 degrees).
Drain on paper towels. Makes 2 1/2 dozen.

Dinner is served!

This is such a great summertime meal because you don't have to turn on the oven! I'm always looking for skillet and crock-pot recipes for hot days. It is a greasy mess though, hence the apron (which I made my senior year in high school, thankyouverymuch).

3 comments:

  1. Fried dough is nature's perfect food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you Betty Crocker! :-) Looks great!!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. So my family makes these and our recipe is you put powered sugar frosting on them also! Its delicious and yes like you said...its a a great MEAL!! Who would have though!? :)

    ReplyDelete