Thursday, July 16, 2009

grandpa

My grandpa.
What can I tell you about my grandpa?
He's a tough old bird, that's for sure.

Grandpa grew up during the depression in Severy, KS, where his dad was a farmer. He had to walk to the one room schoolhouse (uphill in 3 feet of snow, both ways...HA!) and help with farm chores. He was drafted into the army during World War II and he served his country in Europe.

After the war, he went to work on a farm in Leon, KS, where he met my grandmother at church. She was only 17 (by a couple of weeks) and he was 8 years her senior when they married. I think she was only 15 when they met, which really freaks me out considering Bri will be 15 in December! My how times have changed!!

Grandpa just celebrated his 85th birthday in February.

When I think of my grandpa, I remember the man who had a huge garden in Eureka, KS.
I remember the man who dressed up like Santa and passed out presents to all the grandkids at Christmas.
I remember the man who taught me how to crack open and pick out black walnuts.
I remember the man who took me fishing for the very first time in my life.
I remember the man who always pretended to drop my cup when he handed it to me.
I remember the man who sang louder than everyone else during the hymns at church.
I remember the man who gave himself insulin shots through his shirt at the dinner table.
I remember the man who pulled out his dentures just to see our reaction.
I remember the man who loved to tell stories.
I remember the man who took me to the Father-Daughter Banquet for Brownies because my dad was out of town.
I remember the man who played Solitaire until he wore out his deck of cards.

I try not to think about the man who lives in the nursing home.
The man who depends on someone else to help him eat and get dressed.
The man who sometimes doesn't recognize me.
The man who struggles to carry on a conversation.
The man who gets confused and frustrated.

I am so glad I have the wonderful memories of my grandpa. He is a great man!!







This post has been part of Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

5 comments:

  1. Grandpas are so cute!! And why are so many of them tough old birds? I love it. Hang on to the happy memories, they have to make the hard times a little happier right!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your grandpa, it's my mom who is in the nursing home. It's hard to see them lose the ability to do things we all take for granted.

    It's good that you choose to remember him as the larger than life character he was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an awesome post Marcie. I love the new blog look too. You are quite talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopped over from Kelly's Korner. So glad I did. This was a beautiful tribute to your grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very wise... when my beloved gramps was in a similar situation, I used to remind myself that it was the disease talking and acting out. You're blessed to have good memories of him, but it's still hard for all of you. Vicki

    ReplyDelete