Thursday, October 8, 2009

what's cookin' in my crock pot?

Well, on Tuesday, it was nothin'!!
There was a pork roast IN my crock pot. But it wasn't cookin'. It was just sitting there. All day. Ruined. What a disappointing thing to find after a long, hard day at work!

I absolutely love to come home to the smell of dinner cooking. So crock pots are the best invention for working moms, in my opinion. Easy. No work cooking. That's for me! So on Tuesday morning I put a pork roast in, along with some chicken broth to keep it moist. I turned it on low. Bragged to a coworker about the yummy meal I had planned. Just forgot one small detail.
Plug. It. In.

Today, however, there is something cookin' in my crock pot. At least I think there is. Chicken breasts. Tonight I'm cooking spicy chicken tortilla soup. A family favorite. And I put in enough chicken to also fix curry chicken salad. Yum!!


Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup

1/2 onion
1 T olive oil
1 big can diced tomatoes (I run mine through the blender)
2 cans chicken broth
1 jar green enchilada sauce
1 small can green chilies
1 can tomato soup
1 t. chili powder
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. paprika
1 t. worcestershire
1 t. tobasco (I just put in a dash or two)
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded

Chop onion & brown in olive oil. Combine remaining ingredients together in a soup pot. Simmer at least an hour. Add warm chicken.

Serve with chips, sour cream and shredded cheese.

I got this recipe from Meg at whatever. It's super yummy!! And here's the chicken salad recipe, just in case you're interested:

Curry Chicken Salad

2 1/2 c. chicken, chopped
1/2 c. slivered almonds
1/3 c. finely chopped celery
2 T grated onion (I run mine through a garlic press)
1/2 c. craisins*
1/2 c. miracle whip
2 T sour cream
3/4 t. curry powder
1/8 t. cajun seasoning

Mix chicken, celery, almonds, onion & craisins. Then combine miracle whip, sour cream & seasonings and pour over the chicken. Chill at least one hour.
Serve on croisants.
*I actually leave out the craisins and serve on multi-grain bistro crackers.

This post has been part of Thursday's Writer's Workshop with MamaKat. Now go check out what's in other crock pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment