Sunday, June 7, 2009

Nate...Part 1

It seems like most of my blogging has been about my girls. Mostly because the older girls are the ones who are involved in activities and Delaney is at a fun age and fun to photograph. And when it comes to Nate, no news is definitely good news. But I feel like I need to devote some blogging time to our special little guy.

Some of you are already familiar with this story. You were with us during the entire journey. Some of you may be familiar with the story. And some of you may be learning about Nate for the first time.

I've called this first post "Part 1," but I don't know how many parts I'll have. I'm just going to start and see where this leads me.


Pregancy


After Jeremy and I were married a little over a year, we decided it was time to expand our family. I already had Bri and Alli from my first marriage and I was a little nervous about starting over with another baby. After all, they were potty trained, slept through the night and were in school all day. And since they were so close in age, their early years weren't always the easiest for me. But I was ready to go for it and we were thrilled when I got pregnant!

I had a sonogram around 20 weeks and we found out we were having a boy. Everything looked fine and my pregnancy progressed normally. He was a kicker and I often joked around about how he would probably have ADHD and that's why he was so active.


This picture was taken about 2 months before my due date. I was due on May 1.

All during our spring break I did major nesting. I still had lots of energy and went and bought some new maternity clothes to get me through those last few weeks. During that last weekend, we had a crusade at church with Ken Freeman. He has a great message, by the way.

I went to bed that Sunday night and woke up suddenly in the middle of the night, realizing I hadn't felt the baby kick in over 24 hours. I distinctly remember having trouble falling asleep on Saturday for all the kicking and then couldn't remember feeling any movement since then. I was sure it was nothing and didn't want to bother Jeremy, but I got out of bed and went downstairs to the family room. I got my little Bebe Sounds monitor and tried to listen for a heartbeat. But that thing was always a piece of crap a little finicky and I couldn't hear anything. I remember pushing on my stomach trying to force him to move, said a prayer and went back to bed.

The rest of the night I kept trying to get some movement, but had no luck. When morning finally arrived, I calmly told Jeremy that I was a little concerned and was going to call the doctor's office when they opened. Looking back, I realize I should've gone straight to the hospital, but I'm not an alarmist and usually remain pretty calm in these situations.

I went to work as usual and called the doctor's office when they opened. I talked to the nurse, who advised me to go home, eat something and come into the office for a non-stress test. I called Jeremy and asked him to meet me there. I was now getting nervous and was afraid of the results we would find. I remember praying on the way over. Pleading with God to not let my baby die. I promised Him we could handle anything, just not to let our baby die.

Once we got to the doctor's office, they took me back to a room and put a fetal monitor on my belly. I was so relieved, and a little embarrassed that I must have overreacted, when we heard his heartbeat. They monitored me for about 30 minutes and then the doctor came in and explained that I needed to go straight to the hospital. Even though there was a heartbeat, there wasn't any heart rate fluctuations from fetal movement and the heart rate was very high...over 180. She said they would give me some IV fluids and see if that helped.

So off we went to the hospital. As I was getting IV fluids and a Biophysical Profile (like a sonogram), my mom was at a doctor's appointment with my grandparents. My grandpa had been diagnosed with Hodgkins earlier in the year and had been through chemo and radiation. At his appointment that day he learned that he was officially cancer free (Praise God!!)

The baby failed the Biophysical Profile. During this sonogram, they check for heart rate, breathing, amniotic fluid, muscle tone and movement of the baby. You get one point for each area that you pass. I think he got a 1 (for amniotic fluid). It was time to have the baby. I was only 35 weeks but he would be better off outside the womb where doctors could intervene. My labor was induced and I had a regular delivery just after midnight. When Nate was born, he didn't cry and he was a horrid grayish color. The neonatologist was in the delivery room and resuscitated him. He was intubated and whisked off to the NICU immediately.


Nathaniel David
March 25, 2003
This is the first picture taken of Nate, on his birth day. At 5 pounds, 13 ounces, he was probably the biggest baby in the NICU!!

2 comments:

  1. I read this yesterday and didn't have a chance to comment.

    Thank you so much for sharing this...I am looking forward to reading all of this. Nate is so blessed and I know he has also been a blessing.

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just now catching up on all the blogs. Thanks so much for sharing this story! You have an awesome family and I am loving the chance to learn more about everyone!

    The girls are getting to know Allison and Bri from girls' group at church. They think they are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete