Saturday, May 30, 2009

Summit Park...CHECK

I was a brave momma today and took the kids to Summit Park. It's a fully accessible park. Check that off our summer list!

Taking four children anywhere is no easy feat. Add to that a very active toddler and a six year old in a wheelchair, and you have a day out that I absolutely dread!
I rarely go anywhere with Nate without Jeremy. His wheelchair alone weighs nearly 60 lbs. And since we don't have a lift or ramp for our van, I have to lift it out of the back and transfer Nate from carseat to wheelchair. It's quite a chore.
But the girls were a huge help and Bri and I were able to maneuver the wheelchair without any major mishaps (or strained backs).


The playground has ramps throughout the equipment. Their slogan is "Where every child can play." What a great idea! Our school district's adaptive PE teacher was an integral person in developing this park. This was our first visit and I was quite impressed!

Allison took charge of Nate.

And Brianna took charge of Delaney.

Nate could play these chimes with his feet. He loves music and enjoyed hearing the chimes.






These swings are great (except the harness was broken). Swinging is the one thing Nate can do at school. They ordered a special swing for him, similar to this one and he really enjoys that.


Delaney enjoyed the swing too!
Dad, you really need to put up the kids' swing set!!

Then we finished off our outing with a trip to Freddy's. Yum! Even Delaney says "mmmmm".
She likes to wad up a napkin or kleenex and wipe her nose and mouth.




I know this is gross, but I thought it was funny.

And so did Delaney!

And you can't go to Freddy's without getting frozen custard.
Mini hot fudge sundae for me and Delaney (to share) and single dip waffle cone for Bri.
Allison passed on dessert. No wonder she's so skinny!

1 comment:

  1. I've never even heard of a fully accesible park. What an awesome idea!! The picture of Nate kicking the chimes with his feet is my favorite. So sweet!

    And Kainoa does the eating off the table thing every once in awhile and I get a kick out of seeing him struggle to pick the food up without hands. That's my boy.

    ReplyDelete