Friday, May 15, 2009

Our Last Band-o-rama

Only an Augustan can truly appreciate this statement.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for "the arts." I encouraged both Bri and Alli to play an instrument in band. And the only time I have ever regretted doing so, is when I'm sitting in Hutter Gym at AHS on invariably the hottest, most humid day of May.

Band-o-rama has been a tradition (for apparently 53 years, according to the local paper). All band students, from 5th grade through high school get to participate. And the middle school drum line is remarkable! But it's a long, hot evening in the crowded, unairconditioned gym.

Bri has decided to retire her flute after this year. So no more Band-o-rama for me (at least until Delaney is in 5th grade).

Next year should be better for those less-fortunate parents...the gym is getting an extreme makeover, including HVAC!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the new header...very pretty. I don't think I have told you how much we are enjoying the book you found! Where on earth did you find that? Maria was just playing with it on the kitchen floor and was so excited to see her picture...she leaned down and kissed it! That was a really special gift..thank you so much. You are a wonderful friend.

    Regarding bandorama...its funny...I cannot wait until my kids will be in it...have wanted to go for years... I played the flute in grade school and wished that I hadn't given it up...glad to hear about the a/c!

    Can you just see Delaney and Maria up there playing their flutes? it will be fun!

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete