Thursday, August 6, 2009

sew fun

I really do enjoy sewing.
As long as I have a project in mind. Nothing practical. No mending.
But I love creating. Especially when I'm not working from a pattern.

Nate NEEDS to wear a onesie underneath his clothes to help keep his diaper on. When you have a kid who has no butt and rolls around on the floor 10 hours a day, a onesie is necessary.
Problem is, you can't find onesies bigger than 4T.

So mama got creative.
I started out with a large sleeveless t-shirt that I found on clearance for $3 (bonus!!).


I made a pattern (sort of) using his current shirts and onesies, modifying the armholes, taking in the sides, and creating a snap crotch. Or velcro. Whatever.
But I couldn't find anymore of the sleeveless tees, so I had to resort to sleeveless undershirts.

So here's what I've made so far. They're kind of my prototypes. I think we'll try them out for a few days and decide what we like and dislike about them.

I used appliques to create an access to Nate's feeding tube. That way we don't have to undo his shirt for feedings. Yes, I'm all about making life easier!!

Nate is modeling the first shirt I made. Instead of the applique, it has a pocket for his g-tube. I know I don't like it as much. For one thing, it was a PAIN IN THE BOOTY to make. And it's not as easy to get to his tube. Hopefully the appliques hold up. Because I really don't want to make more pockets!!

I wanted to share my project with you. And when Mama Kat announced her prompts this week and one was to share something you've made by hand, I decided the timing was perfect. I guess this counts as something made by hand. Technically it was made by a machine. Hmmmm....

2 comments: