Tuesday, August 4, 2009

hospital sedation

Nate gets botox injections in his hamstrings periodically to help with the spasticity in his legs. Did you know that botox started out as a therapeutic medicine? It's not just for wrinkles!!
It's a quick procedure but he has to be sedated.
So we checked in at the hospital at 6:30 am Monday morning. Not a fun way to spend our last Monday of summer! Not fun for my mom either who had to be at our house at 6:00 to stay with Delaney.

We've gotten to know the nurses in pediatric sedation pretty well over the past few years. We see them more often than some of our extended family!

Nate is such a trooper during pre-op prep. For this procedure he doesn't have to wear a gown. But he does have to get an IV. No tears. Such a brave boy!

I stayed in the room during the procedure.
I was hoping there'd be just a little botox left over. And maybe he'd offer me a little for around my eyes.
No such luck!
The neurologist does the injections. A pediatric intensivist administers the medicine and monitors his oxygen and heartrate. The nurse hangs out and does what nurses do. I sat in my chair and read, watching the procedure out of the corner of my eye, trying to look as wrinkly as possible.
Jeremy headed to the waiting room. He doesn't do needles.


The procedure took maybe 15 minutes. Nate laughed through the whole thing. I think the drugs made him loopy. Then he crashed. He slept for about 2 hours. A deep sleep.

Once he finally roused around, we gave hime some clear liquids, the nurse took out the IV and disconnected him from the monitors. And we were on our way.
See the little yellow pillow? The kids get those every time they are admitted.
We have at least a dozen.
If you need a little pillow, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad everything went smoothly. He is such a strong boy!!!!!!!! Thank goodness for happy laughing drugs :)

    ReplyDelete