Monday, July 19, 2010

it’s really quite amazing…

I’m talking about the filth I allow my family to live in. Now don’t get me wrong. I typically keep the bathrooms up to code. And the kitchen is always fairly tidy (thanks, Hubby!). And the toys in the living room are picked up [nearly] everyday.

But when I’m having people come over, who don’t normally come over (or who’ve never come over), I want everything to be spic and span. I knock down cobwebs that I’ve walked by for 3 months. I clean the grubby handprints off the dining room chairs. I wipe the dust of the top of the refrigerator. All because a few friends are going to be hanging out for a few hours in my house. Yet my kids hang out in this apparently not so clean house, 24/7. So I guess it’s a good thing that I periodically have friends come over, just so I can get to some of those not so obvious, dirty little corners of my house! I’m sure my family wishes I would entertain more often.

The recent occasion that prompted all my cleanliness was my monthly Bunco gathering. Have you played? It’s a lot of fun! And this month was my turn to host.

However, no one noticed that my dining room chairs lacked dirty handprints. And nobody said they liked how I had wiped out the inside lid of my trash can (boy was that thing gross!!). And I didn’t hear anyone say how much they appreciated my spotless stainless steel sink (check out flylady.net and you too can have a shiny, clean sink!). But that’s ok. Because I know it’s clean. And now I can slack until the next time I host Bunco!

Now, what people were talking about was the food. Because one of the best parts of Bunco is eating. So I thought I’d share a couple of the recipes. But let me warn you, these recipes are not for those of you trying to lose weight (can you say 32 ounces of cream cheese?) And sorry, no pictures.

Easy Taco Dip

2 (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese

2 cans of Mexican corn (do not drain)

2 cups of salsa

1 envelope of taco seasoning

Mix all ingredients in the crock pot until heated through. Serve with tortilla chips. Pure yumminess!

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans of Crescent Rolls (Have you seen the ones that aren’t perforated? A kitchen staple, in my opinion)

2 (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 stick of real butter

Topping:

1/2 cup sugar

1 T cinnamon

Spray 9x13 pan. Unroll one can of rolls and press in the bottom of the pan. Mix together sugar and cream cheese. Spread over rolls. Unroll second can of rolls and place over cheese mixture. Melt the butter and drizzle over top. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over top. Back at 350 for 30 minutes.

So there you have it. Some really great recipes to share with friends. After you’ve completely sanitized your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment