Wednesday, June 12, 2013

painting and other projects

Nearly two years ago to the day, I set out on a little project to update my dining room. I acquired a dining room table from my grandparents and an old church pew from my parents and I wanted to make them feel a little more contemporary with fabric and pillows. Here was the end result.

IMG_7853 IMG_7858

Well, for the past two days I have been working hard, with lots and lots of help from my awesome mom. We painted the walls in the kitchen and dining room. See above for the before pictures.

Just a little history…when we moved into our home almost 7 years ago, we chose to paint the brown paneling to soften the room and lighten it up a bit. We painted it a neutral color and it served us well for several years. But I was ready for a change and a bit of an update. See below for the after pictures.

IMG_4170 IMG_4172 IMG_4173 IMG_4174

The paneling is now white and the rest of the wall is gray. Let me just tell you, choosing gray is not as easy as you might think. There must have been 50 shades of grey to choose from!!! Ha…couldn’t resist! Seriously though, I brought home a ton of samples. Some seemed too blue. Others were too green. Gray is a tricky one!! But I’m very happy with the results.

Now, you probably don’t notice, unless you look real close, but the light switches and outlets are white. Yesterday they weren’t. They were a yucky cream color that did not look good with my freshly painted white walls. My mom is an amazing woman and she taught me how to replace every light switch and outlet in the kitchen and dining room. We worked hard to get those suckers out and put new ones in. And I only shocked myself twice! Ouch! I will now always remember to check the outlets for juice and not just assume they run on the same breaker as the lights in that room.

No comments:

Post a Comment