Thursday, September 30, 2010

ages and stages

With four kids, whose ages span 13 years, life can get crazy with their varying milestones. One is moving to a big bed. Two are driving. One is in first grade. Two are in high school. When Delaney starts kindergarten, Brianna will be heading off to college, as Allison begins her senior year. But now I’m getting a bit ahead of myself…

I have one kid who clings to me nonstop. The second I step through the door, I’m inundated with cries of “Mom” with arms held high for me to pick her up. It’s nearly impossible for me to have a minute to myself. Even to go to the bathroom. Thank goodness for doorknob covers!! Whoever invented those things…you’re a genius!

And I have another kid who avoids me like the plague. No doubt, I’m a complete embarrassment to her. But does she have to be so obvious about it?

Shockingly enough, my eldest agreed to go on a walk with me this week. I was eager to get out and enjoy the beautiful fall weather. And the opportunity to chat with my girl was just a bonus. However, after just a short distance, I angered her (which I seem to do rather easily these days) and I spent the rest of our walk about 10 yards ahead of her, as she walked as slowly as humanly possible. In fact, I think a turtle passed her at one point. So what started out as nice, quality time ended up being  less than optimal.

But moments like those remind me how I should enjoy and appreciate the toddler years even more. At least someone still adores me. And wants to be with me all the time. And I just need to take advantage of that because as we know, she too will eventually become a teenager who wants nothing to do with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment