Sunday, February 3, 2013

that dreaded resolution

For the past several years, my unofficial New Year’s Resolution has been to lose weight, exercise more, eat healthier or any combination of these. Last fall, Jeremy and I were in a weight loss challenge and lost a combined 79 pounds!

Here we are last June:

031

Our challenge started Aug. 1.

And this is Oct. 30, after the challenge:

IMG_3118

Well, needless to say, some of those pounds crept back over the holidays. Because I was determined to enjoy EVERY part of Thanksgiving and Christmas, especially the food!

So once again, I needed to shed just a few pounds. I joined an online game with a few friends at dietbet.com. Basically you put in money at the beginning and if you lose at least 4% of your weight, you split the pot with the other winners. But my heart just wasn’t in it. I enjoyed eating. I didn’t enjoy going to the Y. And I made very little progress. I was ready to just resign myself to the fact that I wouldn’t be a winner this round. But then that last week, a fire was lit and I got my motivation back. I read somewhere that according to the Farmer’s Almanac, it was the perfect time to start a diet. So I did the 3 Day Military Diet. You can read the details if you go to the link.

I made a few of the substitutions listed on the blog. I didn’t exercise after day 1. And I lost 5 lbs. in 3 days! I was able to overcome all temptations (birthday cupcakes in my classroom, no bake cookies at mom’s and donuts in the teacher’s lounge!) and I wasn’t tired or starving. It was the perfect jump start I needed and got me within 1 lb of my goal weight.

By the way, I was one of 4 winners in my dietbet game!

No comments:

Post a Comment